Monday, October 29, 2007

Cluster Headaches

Ught, I now have cluster headaches... and it sucks bad.

I use cold water on my face to get rid of them. The sprayer in the kitchen sink works great for me - but I gather everyone is different. Sometimes I have to take a cold shower. A lot of people say that cold water makes it worse for them. Hot water works great for migraines and you can have both a migraine and a cluster at the same time. If you try cold water, only spray your face, forehead and temples. Don't get cold water anywhere else, that's the secret for me.

Drinking lots of water seems to help many people. I've been doing this, but I get so many headaches per day that I really don't think it's helping. It might even be making it worse. I found out drinking water has chlorine in it, and I think I'm allergic to chlorine and bleach. Not sure at this point.

A lot of people say that caffeine helps. I haven't tried this yet, as I usually smoke a cigarette with my coffee, but now I'm pretty sure cigarettes are very very bad for cluster headaches and I've quit smoking. I haven't drank coffee since I quit. Some people claim Redbull works wonders... haven't tried this yet either.

Check out the web site below for more information:
Cluster Headaches

P.S.
Don't even mention worker's comp. and cluster headache in the same sentence, I found out the hard way. If you get a bad headache from something at work, demand to know the assigned clinic or doctor and go immediately. Don't take any bullshit and don't wait a week thinking it's an allergy or something)

Update: Nov. 2, 2007
Turns out that coffee helps a ton, at least it helps me.

Cigarette smoking seems to be the worst possible thing for Cluster Headaches, at least for me.

I had quit smoking for four days and still had headaches. I quit drinking alcohol and coffee for seven days over-lapping this period and still had headaches - lots of them. But I quit smoking again yesterday, and this morning I had one cup of coffee with sugar and no headaches all day so far - it's 2 p.m. now. Seven hours with no headache, this is the longest I have gone since my chemical inhalation accident on 10/23/07.

No comments: